Quick Facts About WGU
Who We Are
Truly a university without boundaries, Western Governors University is a non-profit online university founded and supported by 19 state governors to expand access to higher education through online, competency-based programs. At no other time in the history of higher education have the governors of several states joined together to create a university. In addition, WGU is supported by over 20 leading U.S. corporations and foundations, including Google, Microsoft, Hewlett-Packard, AT&T, Zions Bank and Hospital Corporation of America.
Regionally Accredited, NCATE Approved.
Western Governors University is regionally accredited by the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities, one of the major accrediting commissions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education and the Council for Higher Education Accreditation. The Northwest Commission is also responsible for the accreditation of other major institutions such as the University of Washington, University of Oregon, Gonzaga University, University of Utah, University of Idaho, and BYU, to name just a few. Although regional accreditation is considered the highest form of accreditation, WGU is also nationally accredited by the Distance Education and Training Council (DETC).
In 2006, the WGU Teachers College became the first exclusively online teacher education institution to receive accreditation from the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE).
Why Hire WGU Grads?
With a growing student population of over 18,000 active students from across the nation and an alumni base that increases monthly, WGU’s Career Services is an excellent resource to search for highly qualified employee candidates.
WGU is the only private, non-profit, online competency-based university in the nation offering undergraduate and graduate degrees in teacher education, information technology, business, and health professions. Unlike other traditional universities, WGU doesn’t award degrees based on credit hours or on a certain set of required courses. Instead, students earn their degrees by demonstrating their skills and knowledge in required subject areas through a series of carefully designed assessments. Therefore, our graduates are better suited for, and prepared in their fields.
Our graduates are:
- Mature, strong independent learners.
- Competent professionals with hands-on experience.
- Highly qualified teachers who have earned notable recognitions: Teacher of the Year, Rookie Teacher of the Year and Paraprofessional of the Year in their states.
- Employed in diverse fields such as: U.S. Army, State Department, NASA, Higher Education, City and State Government Agencies, Law Enforcement, Financial Institutions, U.S. Air Force, Airlines Industry, Hospitals and Medical Centers, and Non-Profit Organizations.
- MBA executives working for Fortune 500 Companies such as: Hewlett-Packard, John Deere, Cisco, AT&T and L-3 Communications.
- Entrepreneurs and business owners.
What do Employers think of WGU Grads?
In 2007, a third-party vendor performed a case study of 61 WGU graduate employers. Below are the highlights from the Employer Satisfaction Case Study.
- 95 percent of employers were satisfied with WGU graduates as employees.
- 90 percent of employers rate WGU graduate's preparation for the workforce as "Good" or "Excellent".
- 88 percent of employers said they would hire more WGU graduates if given the chance.
- 69 percent of employers rate WGU graduates as “Excellent” employees.
For more information, please visit www.wgu.edu/studentsuccess.
What kind of grads do we have?
Highly Qualified Teachers
The WGU Teachers College is the only exclusively online teacher education institution to have received NCATE accreditation. Our programs produce teachers that will meet the “highly qualified” requirements of the federal No Child Left Behind Act. WGU’s programs are designed to prepare students for certification in almost every U.S. state. WGU’s teachers specialize in:
- Special Education
- Social Science
- Instructional Design
- Learning and Technology
- English Language Learning/English as a Second Language (ELL/ESL)
- Note: licensure requirements vary from state to state.
Competent Business Professionals
From entry-level to senior executives, WGU can connect you with business graduates and MBA graduates who are competently prepared to work in today’s competitive and demanding business environment. With its focus on strategy and management, our MBA program incorporates teamwork development and simulations as well as the knowledge and skills necessary for our graduates to fulfill mid- to upper-level management positions in business, industry, and non-profit organizations. You will recruit extremely effective managers with the credibility that sets them apart. Our graduates specialize in:
- Business Management
- Human Resource Management - WGU students must pass either the Assurance of Learning exam (if possessing less than 4 years of professional HR experience) or the Professional in Human Resources (PHR®) Certification Exam prior to graduation
- Information Technology Management
- Marketing Managers
- Sales Managers
Specialized IT Professionals
Today’s complex, ever-changing field of Information Technology (IT) requires IT professionals to have the most up-to-date industry certifications. WGU’s rigorous IT competency-based degree programs integrate up to ten current IT certifications. Our graduates specialize in:
- Networks Administration
- Networks Design & Management
As part of the programs, WGU graduates can complete their program holding a number of the following industry certifications:
- Microsoft Certified Information Technology Professional (MCITP): Server Administrator
- Microsoft Certified Information Technology Professional (MCITP): Enterprise Administrator
- Microsoft Certified Technology Specialist: Windows 7 Configuration
- CompTIA A+
- CompTIA Networks+
- CompTIA Project+
- CompTIA Security+
- Oracle Certified Professional, Java SE 6/SE 5 Programmer
- Oracle 11g SQL Fundamentals I
- Oracle 11g Administration I
- CIW Perl Specialist
- CIW Web Foundations Associate
- CIW Web Design Specialist
- CIW Database Design Specialist
- Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA®)
- Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA®) Security Certification
WGU is a Microsoft IT Academy Member
As a Microsoft IT Academy program member, WGU is able to offer students a world-class technology curriculum and courseware provided by Microsoft. These rich online learning resources, including virtual labs, provide hands-on experience with Microsoft software.
Talented Healthcare Professionals
WGU’s rigorous health professions programs are built on the most contemporary national and state standards with support and guidance of hospital partners and healthcare organizations. WGU nursing programs are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE). When students graduate from WGU they have the skills and knowledge the healthcare industry demands. Our graduates specialize in:
- Healthcare Management
- Health Informatics
Recruiting WGU Grads
To provide information to our students and alumni, please e-mail your recruitment announcements, flyers or posters to firstname.lastname@example.org instead of hard copies. Electronic copies allows us to distribute information quickly to our students and alumni.
Services Offered to Employers
- Free online job postings
- Exposure opportunities: virtual employer information session, article/ad space in the alumni newsletter, and networking events with graduates and mass e-mail announcements.
If you have any questions, please contact us at email@example.com or call 801-274-3280 x 2085.